Purchasing Service

Below are questions regarding Purchasing Service within the Arkansas Teacher Retirement System.

How can I receive credit for earlier or other covered service?
As an active member you may purchase previous years' service if it was covered by ATRS. For types of creditable service, see Appendix B, "Types of Purchasable Service."
How much does it cost to purchase service?
The cost to purchase service is based on the type of service you are eligible to purchase. You should contact a retirement counselor for a cost estimate for the service you are interested in purchasing.
When must I purchase service?
You must be active (working) to be eligible to purchase service. If you decide to purchase service it is usually in your best interest to do so as soon as possible to avoid accumulated interest costs.
How do I purchase service?
You should contact a retirement counselor for forms or go to the Benefits and Counseling Forms section of this site to document the service. Once ATRS receives the completed forms and determines how much service you are eligible to purchase you will be notified of the cost.
How can I pay for Purchasing Service?

You will be eligible to submit the following types of payments:

1) Rollover: Payments from the following type of accounts:
a. 401(a) Qualified Retirement Plans
b. 401(k) Profit Sharing Plans and Stock Bonus Plans
c. 403(b) Tax-Sheltered Annuities (TSA)
d. 408(a) Individual Retirement Account
e. 408(b) IRA Annuity
f.  457 Deferred Compensation Plan

2) After-tax payments: (personal check, money order or cashier check, etc.).

Please Note: This account must be paid in full. ATRS no longer accepts partial payments toward the purchase of service credit. The cost is an actuarial based cost and must be paid-in-full by either of the methods listed above or a combination of the two (2). Service credit will not be established until the account is paid in full.

The Arkansas Teacher Retirement System (ATRS) is eligible to accept rollovers from qualified retirement plans. If you currently have money in a qualified retirement plan eligible to roll into this system, please contact our office for a Rollover Acceptance Form.

Rollovers from reciprocal systems will cancel reciprocal service credit. Any reciprocal service cancelled due to a rollover of funds, cannot be established (purchased) in our system.

If you have any questions, please contact us at (501) 682-1517, toll free at 1-800-666-2877, or email us at This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it to submit your question.

Last Updated ( Thursday, 26 January 2012 )