- You must be an active member. An **active member is currently working for an ATRS covered employer and is eligible to receive service credit.
**For the purpose of Disability Retirement eligibility, a member is considered active for an
additional fiscal year following the last fiscal year the member rendered actual service to
an ATRS covered employer and obtained at least one-fourth (¼) year of service credit.
Example: If you last worked in a position at an ATRS covered employer in the 2012-2013 school year, your active status and your eligibility to apply for disability retirement would expire June 30, 2014.
- You must have a minimum of five (5) years of actual credited service with ATRS.
Final determination of the existence of a qualifying disability is based upon the recommendation of the ATRS Medical Committee. The ATRS Medical Committee reviews the application and supporting medical documents to determine the following:
- Member is physically or mentally incapacitated
- Member exhibits symptoms of physical or mental incapacitation while employed by an ATRS employer as an active member
- Member is unable to perform his or her current work duties
- Member's incapacity will most likely be permanent
Once a Disability Retirement Application is received at ATRS your completed application and required supporting documents will be submitted to the ATRS Medical Committee for review at the next regularly scheduled meeting. However, if you have submitted an incomplete application or an application lacking required documentation, you will be allowed six (6) months from the date of receipt to provide the necessary application and/or required documentation. At the end of that six (6) month period, you may request that your application be withdrawn or your application, whether incomplete or lacking supporting documentation, will be submitted to the ATRS Medical Committee for review. If, at the end of the six (6) month period, you have withdrawn your application or your application has not been approved and, if you still meet eligibility requirements, you will be required to begin the Disability Retirement Application process anew.
Contact ATRS at 501-682-1517 (locally) or 1-800-666-2877 to request a Disability Retirement Application.
A member who is eligible for regular Age and Service benefits is NOT eligible to apply for disability retirement.
EFFECTIVE DATE OF DISABILITY RETIREMENT:
- Upon approval and, if you are no longer employed by an ATRS covered employer, the effective date of your disability retirement will be the date your application was received by ATRS.
- If you are still employed by an ATRS covered employer when disability benefits are approved by the ATRS Medical Committee, you will have up to two (2) full calendar months to terminate employment/active membership with the ATRS covered employer. Please contact ATRS for information regarding termination of employment/active membership.
- Your benefit payments will not commence until the first day of the calendar month following the last day you were employed by an ATRS covered employer. There will be no retroactive payments granted to the member in this situation.
- If you fail to terminate employment/active membership by the end of two (2) months, your Disability Retirement will be revoked and you will be required to submit a new Disability Retirement application and begin the process anew.
*THERE IS NO ALIGNMENT BETWEEN SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY AND ATRS DISABILITY.
For more information, see: Disability FAQs
Last Updated ( Thursday, 15 August 2013 )